Glaucoma is a serious eye condition that can gradually destroy your sight. It often starts without any symptoms, so it might be difficult to diagnose it. It's a leading cause of irreversible blindness worldwide, making regular eye care a critical component of maintaining your vision. If you are looking for glaucoma treatment and diagnosis from an “optometrist near me,” we at North Bay Optometric Vision Center in Rohnert Park, CA, are here to help.
What Is Glaucoma?
Glaucoma encompasses a group of eye conditions that damage the optic nerve. Typically, it happens due to increased intraocular pressure (pressure within the eye). This pressure can lead to vision loss. There are two main types of glaucoma:
1. Open-Angle Glaucoma: This is the most common form, with a slow and painless progression. It often remains asymptomatic until significant vision loss occurs.
2. Angle-Closure Glaucoma: This type is characterized by a sudden increase in eye pressure, causing symptoms like severe eye pain, blurred vision, and nausea.
What Is the Role of Eye Care in Glaucoma Management?
Eye care plays a significant role in treating and preventing glaucoma. The benefits of regular and proper eye care and eye exam are the following:
● Early Detection: Regular eye exams are essential for detecting glaucoma in its early stages, often before any noticeable symptoms occur. Early diagnosis allows for timely intervention to slow the progression of the disease.
● Intraocular Pressure Monitoring: Eye care professionals measure intraocular pressure as part of routine eye exams. Elevated pressure can be an early sign of glaucoma, prompting further evaluation.
● Treatment and Management: If diagnosed with glaucoma, eye care specialists can provide various treatment options, including eye drops.
Get an Eye Exam and Eye Care from an Eye Doctor on Our Optometrist Team
Glaucoma is a serious eye condition, so it is important not to wait until your vision is at risk. Prioritize regular eye care to protect your eyes from glaucoma if you are in a high risk group. Schedule an eye exam with an “optometrist near me” today to help ensure early detection and proper management. Your vision is worth preserving. If you live in Rohnert Park, CA, or any surrounding areas, reach out to us at North Bay Optometric Vision Center and schedule a consultation with an eye doctor. Call us at (707) 584-7294 for more information.