Dry eye syndrome occurs due to insufficient or poor-quality tear production and can result in uncomfortable symptoms. Not only that, but if the condition is not treated, it can also lead to infections and even eye damage. At North Bay Optometric Vision Center in Rohnert Park, CA, we can determine the root cause of dry eye and prove treatment that will offer relief.
Symptoms of Dry Eye
Dry eye syndrome can produce a variety of symptoms that may be persistent or come and go. Some of these symptoms include:
- Stinging or burning sensation
- Excess mucus in and around the eyes
- Discomfort when wearing contact lenses
- Light sensitivity
- Difficulty driving at night
- Eye fatigue
Common Causes of Dry Eye
People experience dry eye in different ways and the condition can develop from several factors. Some causes of dry eye include the following:
- Aging — Tear production tends to decrease with age and can lead to dry eye
- Medical Conditions — Conditions like lupus, diabetes, and arthritis can contribute to dry eye
- Medications — Certain medications, such as hormone replacement therapy and those for high blood pressure, can cause the condition
- Environmental Factors — When your tears evaporate due to wind, smoke, or allergies, you may experience symptoms of the condition
- Lifestyle Factors — Excessive screen time and poor blinking can result in dry eye
Consequences of Untreated Dry Eyes
Neglecting dry eye treatment can lead to serious consequences, including eye infections, damage to the surface of the ye, and even vision loss. If you experience persistent dry eye symptoms, we recommend visiting us for an eye exam as soon as possible. We can evaluate your eyes and provide prompt treatment to prevent further complications.
Treatment for Dry Eye
When you visit us, we will determine the root cause of dry eye and recommend the treatment that is best suited for your condition. Some treatments we may suggest include:
- Prescription Eye Drops — prescription eye drops can relieve symptoms and improve function of the meibomian gland
- Lifestyle Changes — We may recommend changing any factors in your home or work environment that are causing dry eye symptoms
- Specialized Contact Lenses — If your current contact lenses are causing dry eye, we can recommend lenses that are designed to retain moisture.
Contact us for an Appointment Today!
Whether you're seeking relief for dry eyes or an updated prescription, call North Bay Optometric Vision Center in Rohnert Park, CA, at (707) 584-7294 today. With the right treatment, we can ease your symptoms and improve your vision. When you need an optometrist near me, we look forward to assisting you!