Dry Eye Care at North Bay Optometric Vision Center
Dry eye syndrome is a common condition that occurs when the eyes cannot produce enough or produce poor-quality tears. Many things can cause dry eyes, and if not treated by an eye doctor, it can cause damage to the eye's surface or other eye-related diseases and conditions. That's why our optometry team at North Bay Optometric Vision Center in Rohnert Park is here to help diagnose the cause of your dry eyes and how to properly treat the condition.
Dry Eye Symptoms
There are several signs associated with dry eye syndrome. Common symptoms include:
- Stinging or burning sensation
- Stringy mucus in and around the eyes
- Sensitivity to light
- Trouble wearing contact lenses
- Problems driving at night
- Blurred vision
- Eye fatigue
Causes of Dry Eyes
Various conditions may lead to dry eye syndrome. Common causes of dry eyes include:
- Aging: Tear production decreases the older we get.
- Medical conditions: Some medical conditions, such as allergic eye syndrome, lupus, and vitamin A deficiencies, can cause dry eyes.
- Medications: Some medications, such as hormone replacement therapy and high blood pressure, can lead to dry eye syndrome.
- Tear evaporation: An increase in tear evaporation caused by wind, smoke, allergies, and other environmental factors can lead to dry eyes.
Problems Associated with Dry Eyes
Chronic dry eye syndrome can lead to many other conditions and possibly damage the eye. If left untreated, patients suffering from dry eyes can experience eye infections, damage to the eye's surface, and even vision loss. Do not wait to treat dry eyes. Instead, schedule an appointment at our Rohnert Park office when the condition lasts more than a couple of days and over-the-counter eye drops are not working.
How Our Eye Doctors Can Help
Those experiencing prolonged symptoms associated with dry eyes should schedule an appointment with our optometry team. Depending on the root cause of your dry eyes, we can recommend various treatments or lifestyle changes. Our optometrists can prescribe eye drops or other medical treatments to alleviate your symptoms and improve meibomian gland function. We may also advise that you change certain aspects of your home or workplace environment or switch to contact lenses optimized for retaining moisture to prevent dry eye syndrome from reoccurring. If needed, our optometrists may refer you to a specialist for further treatment and eye care.
Schedule an Appointment at Our Rohnert Park Clinic Today
Routine eye exams can help diagnose conditions that may lead to dry eye and other eye care problems. Whether you're suffering from dry eyes or want to update your prescription, our optometry team is ready to help. Call North Bay Optometric Vision Center in Rohnert Park at 707-584-7294 to schedule an appointment.